Salt Lake's Premier Criminal Defense Attorneys
"I am honored that you are considering our firm for your criminal case. Our team of attorneys are experienced and aggressive with a track record of success. Most of our attorneys are former prosecutors and have knowledge of Utah's Courts inside and out. We have won cases ranging from sexual assaults and attempted murders, to traffic cases and everything in between. I have devoted my life to the law, and it is my privilege to help people fight a system that much of the time, is just not fair."
-S. Yossof Sharifi
Founding Partner, Sharifi & Baron PLLC
What to do if you or a Loved One is Arrested
Having a loved one arrested, or getting arrested yourself, is one of the most frightening things a person can experience. The police often give little information and are quick to handcuff and send to the jail and let the prosecutors and courts sort out the charges.
So what do you do in this scenario?
- Hire a good attorney: We realize this sounds self serving as we are law firm, but the majority of our attorneys are former Salt Lake Prosecutors and know the Salt Lake County Jail inside and out. We can sit down with you, explore your options, and go over exactly what we need to do to secure you or your loved one's release. Outside of knowledgeable criminal defense attorneys, there are few other places you can go to find out exactly what to do next.
- Have a rainy day fund on hand: There are ways to secure someone's release from jail without any funds (other than hiring an attorney), however, not everyone knows about or qualifies for these services. The vast majority of people will have to pay some sort of bail. Realize this and have that rainy day fund ready to go. However, a good attorney may be able to get the bail lowered to a more affordable level, or simply convince the judge and prosecutor that no bail is required, saving you potentially thousands of dollars.
- Realize that the government will not give you any information: Many of our clients are dumbfounded by the fact that they can't find out any information about their loved one's case or even why they've been arrested. The government simply doesn't care how much worry or grief they are causing you or your family. You need to realize you will get very little information from them and not succumb to frustration. They expect you to have an attorney that explains the system and process to you and unfortunately, much of the time, you will get little help from them.
- Get the process started early: The sooner you hire an attorney on a criminal case, the better it is for the client. We have had dozens of cases over the years that we prevented from being filed simply because we were hired a day or two after the alleged crime took place. Also, the courts will set a bail amount regardless of whether a person has an attorney or not. If they do not, the person will not have a voice in what that bail amount should be and you could end up paying thousands of dollars in unnecessary bail expenses.
Call us today at (801) 656-1901 to secure the release of you or your loved one quickly and efficiently.
The attorneys at Sharifi & Baron have the experience and dedication to fight hard for their clients accused of a crime. People accused of crimes often feel alone and frightened.
Unfortunately, many attorneys will take your money and not fight for you. They will help you plead guilty to cases you may be able to win, not return phone calls, and leave you in the dark.
We feel this type of representation is a tragedy. Many clients come to criminal defense lawyers on the worst days of their life, and to have their attorneys take advantage of them is despicable. Don't let that happen to you. As former prosecutors, we know how to fight hard and win for you.
Recent Criminal Defense Victories
November, 2011: Our client was cited with a first degree felony for disarming a police officer; an offense that carries a 3 years to life in prison sentence. Through negotiation with the prosecutor's office and a proper investigation, we convinced them that due to certain circumstances present in the case (police brutality in response to the offense), it would be in their best interest to dismiss the case rather than have us provide the story to the media. The felony, along with several misdemeanors, were declined to be filed and our client was never charged with any crime.
October, 2011: Our client was charged with several criminal charges, including theft, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. Our client had given up hope of winning and told us she wanted to plead guilty, but we refused to let her. We had her perform a polygraph examination, which she passed, and used the results to have her case dismissed.
September, 2011: Our client was charged with a first degree felony drug distribution charge and was potentially facing life in prison. Through a proper and thorough investigation in which it was revealed a co-defendant may have been responsible for the actual distribution, his charge was reduced to a misdemeanor and he received a fine and probation with drug classes.
Former employment for our team includes the Salt Lake City Prosecutor's Office, the Utah Attorney General's Office, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the Utah Legal Aid Society, giving us the courtroom experience to fight for our clients and attain favorable outcomes.
Ask any prospective attorney how many trials they have handled before hiring them. Many will answer that they have only handled a handful or none at all. Our attorneys have handled hundreds of jury and bench trials and won acquittals on sex cases, violent crimes, drug/alcohol cases, and even traffic cases. We are not afraid to go the extra mile for our clients.
Our firm has experience in all forms of criminal charges including:
- DUI/DWI Defense
- Domestic Violence
- Sex Crimes
- Alcohol & Drug Offenses
- White Collar Crime
- Identity Theft
- Gun Charges
- Probation/Parole Violations
- Federal Crimes
Payment Plans, Flat Fees, and Free Consultations
We offer flexible payment options and reasonable rates designed to fit your unique situation.
Don't Wait, Contact Us Today
Call us today at (801) 656-1901 for a free consultation on your case. If attempting to reach us after hours or on weekends, please fill out the form above and an attorney will contact you within 24 hours.
We serve all counties and cities in the state of Utah.